This route is for operatives with construction experience and some knowledge of Single Ply Roofing. The purpose of a SUP is to fill any gaps in skills or knowledge so that an individual is then capable of gaining a nationally recognised qualification. The main difference between this and other schemes is that the training is tailored to the individual rather than a group and can be used to overcome the skills and knowledge shortage needed to achieve a Level 2 Vocational Qualification (VQ) in Applied Waterproof Membranes-Single Ply Roofing.
The SUP runs for 12 months from first registration and within that time, all training sessions must be completed and the qualification achieved. The minimum number of training days must be no less than five and no more than thirteen to suit the needs of the learner/employer. Once you have gained your Level 2 VQ, you will then be able to apply for a blue Skilled Worker CSCS card which demonstrates your competence to work on site.
Prices and CITB grant until end March 2018 are as follows:
Cost to SPRA member £2,000.00
Cost to Non-SPRA member £2,300.00
CITB Grant available to contractor (If CITB Registered) is £2525.00
Please note – CITB grant funding may be reduced in future years.
Practical training will be done on model roofs/rigs and the knowledge will be covered using various means such as learning packages and resources, lectures and self-study.
The course will provide learners with enough training to cover the six main units relating to skills and knowledge for Single Ply Roofing in the workplace, which are as follows: Preparing surfaces for membrane roofing systems, applying single ply and repairing membrane roofing systems, conforming to general health, safety and welfare, confirming to productive working practices and moving, handling and storing resources.
The Single Ply Roofing SUP is aimed at single ply installers who have been working in the trade for a period of time but are in need of extra training to become competent at Level 2 VQ. The likely audiences are:
• Experienced installers who are currently working on site in the market and require training in order to become competent across all of the mandatory units specific to Single Ply Roofing
• Improvers and roofing assistants who are used to working within install teams and wish to take the next step to becoming competent crafts people.
• Installers who are returning to the trade after a gap of several years, and who need refresher training on one or more of the mandatory units.
A SPRA qualified assessor will conduct a short interview and complete a skills scan with the learner to establish where the gaps are in relation to the Single Ply Roofing VQ and if the learner’s needs can be addressed within a window of between five and thirteen days off the-job training (mode of attendance may vary) then the candidate will qualify for the SUP. The assessor will explain other routes to the learner if their needs fall outside this 5-13-day window. The assessor will also advise on how to gather the necessary evidence from the workplace and how to build a portfolio to achieve the VQ. It is important to remember that the learner must be working on single ply roofing projects during the SUP to generate the evidence and performing a role where the mandatory units are achievable.
• Training is directed at individual’s need and is tailored to allow workforce to learn in areas complimentary to existing skills
• Gaps in knowledge identified to create personal training programme
• Varied training delivery situations to suit candidate’s needs
• Delivers knowledge at a personal level to improve competency
• Fully funded for CITB registered companies (correct for 2017).
• Level 2 VQ ‘Applied Waterproof Membranes -Single Ply Roofing’
• Access to a blue Skilled Worker CSCS card
Email SPRA at firstname.lastname@example.org with your contract details and potential trainee details. The SPRA Training Manager or a SPRA Assessor will be in contact to profile the trainee and ensure that the SAP is the correct training course for them, and begin the application process or advise on alternative training options.